Barrier for effective communication – Introduction
Communication is one of our basic needs. We require to communicate with many people for personal and professional purpose. But while communicating we may face many hurdles or problems. Sometimes the message is not passed properly or gets lost. There are chances of misunderstanding between the sender or the receiver. Sometimes language used in the communication is not understood properly. This results into Communication breakdown or communication failure. There are many reasons behind the problems in the communication process. Let’s study Barriers for effective communication & also effective way to overcome communication barriers in detail.
Definition of the Barriers for effective communication
Any obstacle or problem in the process of Communication which hinders/obstructs the process of Communication is called Barrier
Barriers for effective communication
- Barriers are part of process of Communication. Whenever we are communicating we encode and decode. We use various channels for passing messages. At any level or at any moment or stage there can be problems in communication process.
- Sometimes the sender may not use proper language that the receiver will understand. Receiver may not be able to Decode properly.
- There can be lot of noise in the surrounding which can disturb us. It rarely happens that barriers do not arise in the communication process. Many times barriers arise in the minds of the sender and also receiver. The intended messages are not sent to the receivers
Types of Barriers for Effective Communication:
We face many barriers while communicating. These barriers can create obstacles in the communication process. These barriers are classified into the following types.
1.Physical or Environmental Barriers: The Barriers in the surrounding or in the environment are the physical barriers.
2.Language/Semantic or Linguistic Barriers: Barriers arising due to the different language or differences in language can create problems in communication. Semantic Barriers means the problems arising because of the different meanings of the words.
3.Psychological Barriers: Barriers or problems arising due to the stress or psychological problems are psychological barriers. It is difficult to accept and overcome these barriers.
4.Socio-Cultural Barriers: Due to differences in social status or cultural barriers many times we face differences in communication. These are socio-cultural barriers.
Effective way to Overcome Barriers for effective communication:
Let’s see some effective way to overcome communication barriers
Physical barrier for effective communication:
- By overcoming defects in communication system ,by controlling noise ,physical distance Physical Barriers can be overcome to some extent.
- Though we can’t overcome some physical barriers such as time , distance or defects in machine, we cancontrol Physical barriers to some extent. Efforts are required by all people to overcome physical barriers.
Language barrier for effective communication
- Lot of efforts are required to overcome Language Barriers. There should be respect for any language before learning new language.
- It requires many efforts to learn foreign language. So learning the correct pronunciation and accent and improving vocabulary [word power]we can master a language.
- We have to improve listening skills and then only language can be understood properly.
Psychological barrier for effective communication
- It is true that psychological barriers are difficult to overcome or solve. There must be acceptance of ones mistakes or limitations. This will led to understanding of human life.
- People do not accept their faults or limitations. This leads to many problems. We have to be humble and also respectful towards other people.
- Many times the sender and the receiver are not in proper frame of mind. So this creates problems in Communication. Misunderstanding, lack of interests, mental and physical disturbance can cause problems because of that.
- Efforts should be taken by superiors and also all reporting people to overcome the problems.
Socio Cultural barrier for effective communication
- These Barriers can be overcome by proper study of other cultures .
- It is very much essential to learn new cultural values and observing people and also accepting their cultures .
- We have to develop open mindedness in this regard. Thus we have to understand the mannerisms of other people.
12 Best Tips to Overcome Barriers for Effective Communication
1.Identify and analyze the barriers:
Find out the possible barriers in the way of effective communication and then try to remove these. To make the communication clear, make use of the listeners language and also avoid faulty translations.
2.Top management must be convinced of the need of communication:
A good communication is good human relations, and also good communication is good business.
3.Emphasis upon the written statement of policies:
This is the best means of letting everyone know how an organization feels about communication. It sets the tone for the type of communication that everyone throughout the organization should have. It sets the basis for the procedures and also practices, which will be used to implement policy.
4.Recognize that communication is a two way process:
It is necessary to know whether communication has been properly received and perceived. This can be done by encouraging action, responses, asking questions, removing confusion and also explaining clearly the meaning of the message sent.
5.Consistency and coherence are essential for successful communication:
Orders should be consistent with the objectives of the organization and also in line with other activities.
6.Overcome disadvantages of the distance barriers:
Whenever possible use the physical devises like telephone and the intercom and see that people understand ie. the sender should see to that the information is not distorted, misinterpreted or stopped by those who are responsible for passing it on to others.
7.Communication is a continuous process:
It cannot be compartmentalized or reduced to one or more communication programs, because the goal of communication is complete understanding. Thus Communication should be constant, habitual and automatic.
8.Empathetic speaking and hearing are essential for effective communication.
Therefore, the speaker should know his audience and be sensitive to their needs and feelings when he speaks and listens; otherwise he may short circuit important communication networks.
9.Optimum timing is important in communication.
The best time for communicating important messages is when they are competing the least with other situations affecting the listeners. Messages are most likely to be considered and attended to when they provide a solution to a problem affecting the receiver.
The use of feedback improves the communication process and reduces the chance of major disparities between the information or idea received and also the one intended.
Reception of messages may be helpful in conveying the intended thoughts. Often a single transmission of an idea may not be received or decoded properly. A second or third message may assist the receiver in his understanding and use of the concept. Repetition can be done by using various media and also different formats.
Messages should be timed so that they are received when they are needed and also are not misconstrued as a result of other thoughts on the receiver’s mind.
LIKE WHAT YOU’RE READING?
CHECK OUT SOME OF OUR OTHER GREAT CONTENT HERE
- THE ART OF PUBLIC SPEAKING (STEP BY STEP GUIDE)
- HOW TO IMPROVE COMMUNICATION SKILLS?
- PROFESSIONAL & BUSINESS COMMUNICATION
- 7 EFFECTIVE PRINCIPLES OF COMMUNICATION
- 6 Effective Elements of the Communication
- WHAT ARE THE OBJECTIVES OF COMMUNICATION?
- 7 NON VERBAL MEANS OF COMMUNICATION
- What is a Written Communication? Explained
- 5 BEST ENGLISH BOOKS FOR GRAMMAR
- WHAT ARE THE INTERPERSONAL SKILLS ? 6 TIPS TO DEVELOP IT!