MASTERING YOUR PROFESSIONAL & BUSINESS COMMUNICATION
In this article you will learn what is Professional & Business Communication, types, rules, and also tips to master it.
What is Professional Communication?
Professional communication encompasses written, oral, visual and also digital communication within a workplace context.
It follows the following Principle:
- Firstly It is guided by professional ethics
- Formal in tone
- Warm, and also cordial
- Finally it should be appropriate & comfortable
Why Professional Communication is important?
- Firstly it helps to align yourself better with your work environment
- To build strong and also positive working relationships
- It helps to address and also overcome roadblocks effectively
Types of Professional Communication:
- Verbal Communication
- Written Communication
Verbal communication is all about the words you choose to speak and how these words are received & interpreted. Your gestures & overall body language adds to it, impacting the interpretation.
Rules of Verbal Communication:
- Firstly have an open mind
- Be prepared to listen
- Focus on the context
- Stay clear of distractions
- Avoid forming argument in your mind while listening.
- Finally do not stereotype the speaker
Written communication in a business needs to be carefully crafted to avoid miscommunication. It should be clear and concise so that recipients can refer back to it whenever required.
Rules of Written communication:
- Firstly it needs to be concise (Brief & to the point)
- Polite in tone
- Needs to be syntactically correct
- Use simple language
- Use active voice
- Clarity of purpose
- Always proofread before submission.
Speaking over the phone:
- Firstly prepare for the call
- Speak clearly
- Be more mindful while listening
- Take down notes if required
- Don’t hesitate to ask for clarification if required
- Finally take into account the lack of non-verbal gestures
How to Draft Email:
- Write an effective subject line
- Keep your email clear
- Keep it short and get to the point
- Be careful with confidential information
- Copy team members when required
- Never angry email
- Read again before hitting send
- Finally pick up the phone & call after sending
Improving professional vocabulary
Understanding company culture:
Every company has a set of principles and also values that they upheld through the work they do, the way in which they engage with their employers, the culture they build morally.
- Firstly read up about the company
- Be observant
- Pay attention
- Volunteer for employee engagement activities
- Above all, contribute towards workspace
Professional Jargons (Special Words or Expressions)
- Refers to a set of specialized terms that are relevant and used frequently in a professional environment.
- Not used widely in general communication
- They also make professional communication easier and more effective.
Speaking & presenting during interviews and meetings:
How to prepare for meetings:
- Firstly set your agenda
- Check for calendar availability
- Show resources with peers if required
- Write down your points
- Finally preparing presentation
- Firstly Keep it short
- Stick to the agenda
- Be open to hearing from others
- Be prepared with reports and also data
- Don’t be aggressive
- Finally take down Minutes of Meetings
What is Business Communication?
- Business communication is the process of sharing information between people within and also outside a company.
- Effective business communication is how employees and management interact to reach organizational goals. Its purpose is to improve organizational practices and also reduce errors.
Importance of business communication:
- Presenting options/new business ideas
- Making plans and proposals (business writing)
- Executing decisions
- Reaching agreements
- Sending and fulfilling orders
- Successful selling
- Effective meetings
Intrapersonal – One person/Self-talk
Interpersonal – Two people – Intimate & very personal
Group Communication – Three to eight people
Public speaking – Group differs to speaker example) Boss to everyone, team
Mass communication – Single message to the group
Transactional Model – Exchange of messages between sender & receiver
Constructivist model – Where two people are trying to understand each other & come to a common ground
Eight Essential components of communication:
Effective Business Communication:
“Communication is a key to your success in relationships, in the workspace, as a citizen of your country & across your lifetime.”
- Communication can be defined as the process of understanding and sharing meaning.
- Active listening & reading are also part of being a successful communicator.
- Communication represents you and your employer:
- In your career, you will represent your business or company in spoken & written form.
Communication skills and the business industry:
Oral and written communication proficiency is consistently ranked in the top ten desirable skills by employer surveys.
Top 5 personal qualities or skills potential employers seek:
- Communication skills (Verbal & written)
- Strong work ethic
- Teamwork skills
- Analytical skills
“An individual with excellent communication skills is an asset to every organisation”
Communication is Ethical:
- Ethical communication is egalitarian(Belief in basic equality)
- It is respectful
- Ethical communication is trustworthy
5 C’s of Effective Business Communications:
The five C’s of effective communications are Clear, Concise, Correct, Courteous and Considerate.
Clear: You should always strive to communicate in an easy-to-understand manner so that the person you are communicating with does not have to guess at what you mean.
Concise: Do not beat around the bush when it comes to getting your point across. If someone asks you a question, answer it directly and also do not ramble on or give too much information.
Correct: Make sure that what you are saying is correct. If someone asks your opinion on something, be aware of personal biases and also do not go off-topic to discuss other things; stick with the question asked.
Courteous: “The Golden Rule – Treat others how you would like to be treated yourself. Be respectful, listen to others and also be kind.
Considerate: Think about what you are going to say before you speak. Make sure that your words do not offend anyone or hurt their feelings.
Thus by following the above tips, rules and also techniques we can master the Professional & Business Communication Skills.
LIKE WHAT YOU’RE READING?
CHECK OUT SOME OF OUR OTHER GREAT CONTENT HERE
- THE ART OF PUBLIC SPEAKING (STEP BY STEP GUIDE)
- 6 Effective Elements of the Communication
- WHAT IS A WRITTEN COMMUNICATION
- 7 NON VERBAL MEANS OF COMMUNICATION
- TOP SKILLS EVERY ENTREPRENEUR SHOULD HAVE
- PERSONALITY DEVELOPMENT TIPS
- LEARN PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS
- LEARN THE ART OF LEADERSHIP SKILLS
- LEARN THE ART OF NEGOTIATION
- 7 EFFECTIVE PRINCIPLES OF COMMUNICATION
- 12 BEST TIPS TO OVERCOME BARRIERS FOR EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION
- 5 BEST ENGLISH BOOKS FOR GRAMMAR
- WHAT ARE THE INTERPERSONAL SKILLS ? 6 TIPS TO DEVELOP IT!