Applications of a Transistor
Transistor is an electronic device made of three layers of semiconductor material that can act as an insulator and a conductor. Let’s see the various applications of a transistor – BJT,UJT & FET.
Applications of a Transistor – Bipolar Junction Transistors
The transistor is a three-layer semiconductor device consisting of either two n- and one p type
- Transistor as a switch: When used as an electronic switch, the transistor is normally operated alternately in cut-off and saturation regions.
- Transistor as amplifier: Due to the small changes in base current the collector current will mimic the input with greater amplitude.
Applications of a Transistor – UJT
A Unijunction Transistor (UJT) as the name implies, is characterized by a single pn junction.
- Phase control.
- Relaxation oscillator.
- Timing circuits.
- Pulse generation.
- Sine wave generator.
- Voltage or current regulator supplies
Applications of a Transistor – Field Effect Transistor
Field effect Transistor is a semiconductor device which depends for its operation on the control of current by an electric field.
Phase shift oscillators:
The high input impedance of FET is especially valuable in phase shift oscillator to minimize the loading effect.
The high input impedance of FET is useful in voltmeters to act as an input stage.
Other use of a Transistor:
- As a buffer amplifier which isolates the preceding stage from the following stage.
- FET has low noise operation. So, it is used in RF amplifiers in FM tuners and communication equipment.
- FET has low input capacitance, so it is used in cascade amplifiers in measuring and test equipment.
- Since FET is a voltage-controlled device, it is used as a voltage variable resistor in operational amplifiers and tone controls.
- FET has low inner modulation distortion. So, it is used in mixer circuits in FM and TV receivers, and communication equipment.
- Since it is low-frequency drifts, it is used in oscillator circuits.
Applications of a Transistor – MOSFETs
MOSFET is an important semiconductor device and is widely used in many circuit application.
- Because of higher input resistance ,the enhancement type MOS devices have been used as micro-resistor in integrated micro-circuits.
- For electrometer circuits where exceptionally low currents are to be measured MOSFETs are most nearly ideal.
- MOSFET s are very small in size . which make them suitable for highly complex digital arrays.
- MOSFET is used for switching and also amplifying electronics signals in the electronic devices.
- It is used as an inverter.
- It can be used in digital circuit.
- MOSFET can be used as a high frequency amplifier.
- It can be used as a passive element e.g. resistor, capacitor and inductor.
- It can be used in brushless DC motor drive.
- It can be used in electronic DC relay.
- It is used in switch mode power supply (SMPS).
LIKE WHAT YOU’RE READING?
CHECK OUT SOME OF OUR OTHER GREAT CONTENT HERE:
- LVDT- CONSTRUCTION, WORKING PRINCIPLE , APPLICATIONS, ADVANTAGES, AND DISADVANTAGES
- HOW AN IGBT WORKS?
- SCR VI CHARACTERISTICS EXPLAINED IN DETAIL
- STRAIN GAUGE WORKING PRINCIPLE
- WHAT IS THE ZENER DIODE? – EXPLAINED
- WHAT ARE THE USES OF CAPACITOR
- POWER FACTOR IMPROVEMENT METHODS
- VARIOUS USES OF A RESISTOR