Personality development plays an important role in Career & Life. People who are successful in life are those who are able to control their emotions and thoughts. They are also aware of their strengths and weaknesses. When we talk about personality development, we mean learning to identify and accept ourselves as we are. In this article let’s see how to develop a strong & positive personality.
Personality is the sum total of ways in which an individual reacts and interacts with others.
What is Personality?
- Personality is generally defined as the deeply ingrained and relatively enduring patterns of thought, feeling and behavior.
- In fact, when one refers to personality, it generally implies to all what is unique about an individual, the characteristics that makes one stand out in a crowd.
- Personalities is the sum total of individual’s Psychological traits, characteristics, motives, habits, attitudes, beliefs and outlooks
What is personality development?
Personality development is defined as a process of developing and enhancing one’s personality.
What determines Personality?
Heredity: Heredity refers to those factors that were determined at conception. Physical structure, facial attractiveness, gender, temperament, muscle composition and reflexes, energy level, and biological rhythms are characteristics that are generally considered to be either completely or substantially influenced by who your parents were, that is by their biological, physiological and inherent psychological makeup.
Environment: The environmental factors that exert pressures on our personality formation are the culture in which we are raised, our early conditioning, the norms among our family, friends and social groups, and other influences that we experience. The environment to which we are exposed plays a substantial role in shaping our personalities.
Situation: A third factor, the situation, influences the effects of heredity and environment on personality. An individual’s personality although generally stable and consistent, does change in different situations. The varying demand of different situation calls forth different aspects of one’s personality. We should not therefore look upon personality patterns in isolation.
Self awareness & Personality Development:
- Self-awareness or self-knowledge is the starting point for effectiveness at work.
- Self awareness plays an important role in Personality Development. With a sense of who you are and a vision of the person you want to become, a plan for professional or personal development can be created.
“To lead or attempt to lead without first having a knowledge of self is foolhardy and sure to bring disaster and defeat.”
What is Self Awareness?
- Self Awareness knows your motivations; preferences, personality and understanding how these factors influence your judgment, decisions and interactions with other people.
- Through self-awareness one “develops the ability to know how you are feeling and why, and the impact your feelings have on your behaviour.
Benefits of Self awareness:
Self-awareness has many benefits, among them.
- Understanding yourself in relation to others
- Developing and implementing a sound self-improvement program
How to Gain Self awareness?
- The first step in becoming aware of ourselves is to recognize our weaknesses, strengths, biases, attitudes, values and perceptions. There are many ways to enhance our self-awareness.
- Some of these include analyzing our own experiences, looking at ourselves through the eyes of others, self-disclosure, acquiring diverse experiences and increasing our emotional intelligence.
How to improve personality Development?
TRAITS FOR BUILDING POSITIVE PERSONALITY:
1. Accept Responsibility:
The price of greatness is the responsibility.
“Responsibility gravitates to the person who can shoulder them.”
Society is not destroyed by the activities of the bad people, but by the inactivity of good people.
2. Show consideration:
Show consideration, courtesy, politeness and caring.
3. Think Win-Win
4. Choose your words carefully:
- The principle is your speaking must be better than silent, rather be silent.
- Words spoken out of bitterness can cause irreparable damage.
- The way the parents speak to their children in many instances shapes their children’s destiny.
5. Never Criticize, Complain and Condemn
6. Smile and Be Kind:
Smile is the shortest distance between two people.
7. Put Positive interpretation on other people’s behavior:
- We see the world not as it is, but as we are. So when we are interpreting other peoples behavior negatively we just reflecting our own mentality to this situation.
- In contrast when interpret positively, chances that other people may realize its negativity and change or amend this.
8. Be a Good Listener :
- Effective communication is 50% listening, 25% speaking, 15% reading and 10% writing.
- So when we listen carefully then 50% communication is done.
9. Be Enthusiastic:
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm
10. Give honest and Sincere Appreciation:
- The desire to feel important is one of the greatest cravings in most of the human beings and it can be a great motivator.
- Honest and sincere appreciation makes one feel important and promote these positive qualities in him.
- In contrast giving false and insincere appreciation is flattery or sycophancy which in the long run is harmful to the receipient.
11. When you make a mistake, accept it and make it easy to amend:
Mistakes are to be learned from. So accept it immediately and make change or amend easy.
12. Discuss but don’t argue:
Arguing is like fighting a losing battle. Even if one wins in the argument, the cost may be more than the worth of victory. An Ignominious victory is a defeat itself.
13. Don’t Gossip:
Gossip may lead to slander and defamation of character. People who listen to gossip are as guilty as those who do the gossiping.
14. Turn your promises into commitment:
Commitment leads to enduring relationship through thick and thin. It shows in a person’s personality and relationship.
15. Be grateful but do not expect gratitude:
16. Be dependable and practice loyalty:
An ounce of loyalty is worth more than a pound of cleverness. Ability without dependability is of no worth.
17. Avoid bearing grudges:
Life is too small to bear grudges. John Kennedy once said “forgive the other person but don’t forget their name.” Means “if one cheated me once it is his fault, but if cheats me twice then it is my fault.” Don’t be cheated regularly to forgive.
18. Practice honesty, Integrity and Sincerity:
Lies may have speed, but the truth has endurance. Honesty, Integrity and Sincerity have more enduring effect than the opposite.
19. Practice Humility:
Confidence without humility is arrogance. Sincere Humility is the foundation of all virtues. It is a sign of greatness.
20. Be understanding and Caring:
The best way to be understood is to be understanding. And the basis of real communication is also understanding.
21. Practice courtesy on daily basis:
22. Develop a sense of humor:
Have a sense of humor and you will possess the ability to laugh at yourself. A sense of humor makes a person likeable and attractive. Some people are humor-impaired.
23. Don’t be sarcastic and put others down:
24. To have a friend be a Friend :
Mutual trust and confidence are the foundation stones of all friendship.
25. Show Empathy:
Empathy alone is a very important characteristic of positive personality. People with empathy ask themselves this question, “how would I feel if someone treated me that way?”
Role of Grooming in Personality Development:
What is Grooming?
- Grooming means dressing well, to be presentable to others. You may want to give a little more attention to how you dress at work because what you wear may be substantially influencing your career path.
- Although nothing takes the place of talent, hard work, innate ability and ambition, looking your professional best in the workplace can give you a competitive advantage. It simply means dressing in a way that projects an image of the sophisticated, successful working individual you are or would like to become.
- When you are fresh and well groomed, it creates a positive impression. Research has shown that good looking people have a 20% advantage over the not so groomed ones
GROOMING – MEN
DRESS: As a rule, the simpler the better.
SHIRTS: Colours: White, off white, pale, blue shirts are preferred; though you may wear dark colored shirts too. It is important to button up your shirt till the collar button
TROUSERS: They should preferably be dark though you may wear beige and with a dark colored shirt. Try to have at least one pair of black trousers. Trousers may or may not have pleats
TIES: To play it safe choose a traditional silk tie, No loud colours or patterns. Your tie should co-ordinate with your attire the knot should be a perfect triangle.
SOCKS: Choose a color that coordinates with your trousers (usually black, dark gray, dark brown or dark blue) Make sure they are long enough not to expose your skin when you sit down. As a thumb rule, do not wear white socks. Wear clean socks to avoid bad odour.
SHOES: Wear a good pair of leather shoes-black and brown/tan shoes. Shoes must be polished everyday Do not wear shoes that look casual. Also, do not wear shoes with worn out heels.
BELTS: Wear only formal belts with a sleek buckle. As thumb rule, match your belt to your shoes.
WATCHES: Preferably wear leather strapped watches. If you wear a metal strapped watch, make sure that it fits the wrist well
HAIRSTYLES: Hairstyles should be clean and neat, avoiding extreme styles or colors, and trimmed above the collar leaving the ear uncovered. Sideburns should not extend below the earlobe or onto the cheek.
If worn, mustaches should be neatly trimmed and may not extend beyond or below the corners of the mouth. Men are expected to be clean shaven; beards are not acceptable. Earrings and other body piercing are unacceptable.
DRESS: You may wear Salwaar kameez or formal shirt/trousers. Preferably choose small prints or self colors. And tight fitting clothes Avoid plunging necklines, sleeveless. You may wear a tunic with a pair of formal trousers.
HAIR: extreme styles or colorations, or unnatural colors
SHOES/SANDALS: Shoes with 1 ½-inch heels are standard. You may wear a pair with smaller heels or a flat pair. Stick with a black/brown pair. Be sure your shoes are polished and that your heels are intact. Do not wear colorful sandals. Avoid heels and sandals with heels. Avoid white colored sandals as they get dirty easily. If you do, clean them well
BAGS: Apart from your working bag if you are carrying an additional bag, preferably, carry a black or a brown one
- Earrings: Wear stubs or small rings. Do not wear hoops or dangling earrings
- Bracelets/Bangles: You may wear either a bracelet or a bangle. Avoid both.
- Avoid chunky bracelets or too many bangles.
- Rings: Keep them simple and not chunky.
- Chains: You may wear thin chains with small lockets. Do not wear ornamental/ chunky jewelry even if it is an occasion.
Thus, by following above tips and traits anybody can achieve a Strong & Positive Personality Development
LIKE WHAT YOU’RE READING?
CHECK OUT SOME OF OUR OTHER GREAT CONTENT HERE:
- HOW TO IMPROVE COMMUNICATION SKILLS?
- DEVELOPING EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE
- SKILLS OF DECISION MAKING
- LEARN THE ART OF NEGOTIATION
- LEARN THE ART OF PERSUASION SKILL
- THE ART OF PUBLIC SPEAKING (STEP BY STEP GUIDE)
- LEARN THE ART OF LEADERSHIP SKILLS
- LEARN PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS
- LEARN THE ART OF TIME MANAGEMENT
- TOP SKILLS EVERY ENTREPRENEUR SHOULD HAVE
- WHAT ARE THE INTERPERSONAL SKILLS ? 6 TIPS TO DEVELOP IT!